Thursday, January 7, 2010

Loose Tongues

Doing others a favour sometimes doesn’t bring us satisfaction but instead disappointment.

Why so ?? Let me relate an incident which occurred lately.

A relative of mine went on a Christian family retreat in my hometown. A very big group went there , around 150 of them

As planned, my sister-in-law there was contacted. Then she helped them to order the renowned ‘koropok’ which I claimed were much much cheaper and better. Perhaps I was too ‘ kay po’ ?

When the group came to my sister-in-law’s shop to collect the koropok ( By the way,she’s not selling koropok ‘ ) , out of the blue, someone among the group blurted out.’ Where got any businessman who does not want to make profits ? ‘ Oh ,My ! I couldn’t believe such words coming out from the mouths of the so-called God’s people. Definitlely, he was implying that any businessman will place profits above his principle or anything else. No such thing as hospitality or warmth or loving-kindness. So , to him , my sister-in-law was no exceptional case. Definitely ,she was getting commission out of her ‘kind ‘ deed .Oh, what a big insult ! To me , he had a wrong mindset. He should actually feel grateful to her for sacrificing her time ordering koropok for them . Furthermore,that was done so in the midst of her busy business hours. I am doubly sure she didn’t earn them a single sen. If I were in her place, I would have done the same.

I feel so sorry for that man .

Didn’t he realize that he had brought disgrace to our God for his loose tongue ?

Didn’t he know that he had closed the door to Christianity for my relatives who have not got to know our Lord?

Didn’t he realize that the serious impact he had brought to my relatives who had already got the blurred image of our religion ?

Didn’t he realize that my relatives couldn’t see any difference in him being a Christian ?

As a Christian , I always remind myself to practise God’s word in my daily life. From this incident, I hope I will strive more for tongue purity which I know is not easily done. However, with God’s help and reminder , it is still possible


James 3: 1 - 2

No comments:

Post a Comment